I am finally getting this done! Thanks again to our neighbor Eric, that helped us set this up, and even coming here to figure it out for us!
It makes me sad to even have to create this blog, but I know that it is helpful to all our families and friends to get an update from us this way.
Last Saturday, July 3rd, we had an accident involving our beautiful boy, Jake. We were having a good time with family and had just finished eating, when Jake came to give me his plate, telling me he was done and that he had spilled. I told him that that was ok, we would clean it up later. After a few minutes, Derick said: "Where is Jake?" We all started looking for him and my heart was beating faster. I walked over towards the pool, and there he was, floating face down. I hurried and pulled him out, put him on the ground and panicked! Derick started screaming for someone to call 911 and to help us. Then he began performing cpr, but he hadn't even done that very long when the doctor that lives next door came rushing to help us out. What a blessing that he was home and not gone for the 4th of July weekend, or working, or somewhere else. We are so thankful that Dr.Berg was there and hurried over to help us out.
Whithin minutes after calling 911, all the emergency vehicles arrived, and they were all working on him. He was airlifted to Primary Children's Hospital here in Salt Lake City, and this is where we have been since.
The doctor's worked on him for a long time before we were allowed to see him, and those 2 hours were even worse then the hour it took us driving here. We are so thankful for our brother in law, Mike, that drove us down here, cause there is no way we would have been able to do it ourselves.
I know that this is getting to be very long and detailed, but we have family and friends in a lot of different places around the world that don't know everything that happened that day, so I just want them to have a chance to know what we are talking about.
There have been a lot of ups and downs since last Saturday, and a lot of tests and talks with lots of different doctors, and all they can really tell us is that it's a waiting game. We know for sure that his brain has been damaged, there is just no way to tell how damaged until he wakes up and we can see what he does. He has had a set back, unfortunately. Yesterday morning his blood pressure and heart rate went up really fast, and they didn't know why, so they did a cat scan to see if his brain had swelled more. It hadn't, which was good, but then they were wondering if he had had a seizure. They had already scheduled to do an mri on him, and so they did later that morning. The mri confirmed that he did indeed have a stroke, but it was small, which was good they said... So, instead of taking him off the medicines tonight, they are going to wait a couple more days, just so that he can rest and the swelling in his brain can go down more. There might have been another reason, but I just can't keep track of all the things they tell us, and we have probably asked the same questions over and over again just because we forget all the info they give us.
Today they told us that his left lung had collapsed, which is not uncommon in this situation, but as his parents it's just another thing for us to worry about! It actually seems like an awful way for them to fix it, they shake him and force air in him and push down or do something hard on his chest. I can't watch them when they do it, it's just too brutal, but the one nurse that we had earlier today said that the way the doctors do it may seem worse. I don't know if she said that to make herself feel better, or what, but awful it is regardless.
We are so thankful to everyone in our families, friends, neighbors and ward that are helping us out. It's so nice that we don't have to worry about what to do with our 2 older boys. Being here in the hospital with our little guy is all we want to do right now, so all the love and support you all show us is just amazing! Even people we don't know are asking about Jake, and we are grateful for everyones thoughts and prayers on his behalf.
Thanks again all of you amazing people, and please continue praying for him, he still has some challenges ahead of him.
I'll try and update some more tomorrow, but we really don't expect anything for a few days.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty. That is really hard. I think it's important so now I know what to pray for. My heart is truly broken for you right now. Last Saturday we were driving close to your house and I thought how I really wanted to stop by. I guess that's when it happened. You were in my thoughts then and I haven't stopped thinking of you. Let me know if I can do anything. Your boys don't know me, but I would be happy to have them at my house anytime. Call me for anything...801-305-1667. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRagnhild, Brad and I are praying for your sweet little guy. My daughter, Aja, talked to her little girls, Alakina (4) and Stella (2 1/2) and they have been praying as well. Everytime I see them they tell me they are praying for "Baby Jake".
ReplyDeleteI have felt helpless in knowing what to do, but I have a blog and have posted about the accident...I have kept all names out except Jake's...and have had several wonderful Christian women who I know only from the blogging world offer their prayers heavenward. They all help!
I know that God loves all of you and He is in charge. What a great blessing that your sweet Jake is doing as well as he is. We love you and we will continue to pray for you all...
~Mary Colovich
www.marycolovich.blogspot.com
(my blog address where you can read what I wrote about Jake)
I forgot to tell you that I read a blog of a woman in Utah County who experienced the same thing as you, (her little boy was in the bathtub) and he survived. His accident happened this past Feb. She has blogged about it and her blog address is:
ReplyDeletehttp://stakerzxposed.blogspot.com/search/label/Bronson?updated-max=2010-02-02T10%3A25%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=20
(That's where her blog begins). I sobbed when I read her posts but she is so inspiring and I thought maybe it will help to read someone elses story. Miracles do happen!
May God continue to bless you all...
~Mary
We are so heartbroken about what happened to Jake. I can't even begin to imagine what your family must be going through right now. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out. The girls ask us about little Jake everyday and we want you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are in good hands at Primary's, they will give Jake the best care possible.
Love,
Anne, Dan, Emma and Madeline Harris(your new neighbors)
Hi. You don't know me.....but I was given this story and address from a friend. I want you to know that we live in Canada and your story is heartbreaking yet inspiring. You are a good mom and a great family. We are praying for little Jake and also for you as parents, so you may have the strength, courage and peace to get through this. You can do this. We know you can. And thanks for taking the time to update this. This will be a wonderful journal not only for little Jake someday, but for your family history. (Hugs!)
ReplyDeletePraying in NC for your Jake.
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting us know what happened, we are praying and thinking of your Family
ReplyDeletelove Passey's
Ragnhild,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your feelings with these informations. It is probably one of the toughest things for parents to face.
I have been asking for a miracle since I heard what really happened. We just need to believe in miracles to make it happen. I prayed every day as I would pray for my kids. God shall give you a strengths, patient and second chance for Jake,
Nesli/ Marriott